Monday, November 22, 2010

On Photographs

It is your picture
placed by magnet
on my fridge door
that pulls me to you
I have to believe now
That you are my ghost
Granny dearest

Speaking to me in other people's voices
But only the special ones
How can science ever prove our feelings?

I was talking on the phone with Ayeola, a special friend
mother and sister i just met through her politically incorrect
but amazing husband, writer Carlos Moore.

Moore is the writer of Fela: This bitch of a life, and we were fotunate
enough that he our paths crossed.
More so, his wife, Ayeola, who looks like my grandmother in her ealy days

There i was with Ayeola on the phone
and the picture on the fridge just magnetted my heart
so that while i was talking, i had to watch it, and give it a few kisses.

And there, on the other side of the phone, without knowing that i am
watching my grandmother's picture she starts to talk "You must know
That whereever i am, i am thinking about you, my family"
This is a woman i had met merely three days ago.

i believe these were my grandmother's words.
Deep.
Personal.
Eternal.
Love.

4 comments:

  1. visiting ur blog for the first time.
    this sounds so natch and jus you-ish
    (asides being faintly nostalgic).I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Roland, do visit again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is just beautiful. I do love my Grandmother as well. Today is (would have been) her birthday and I read this poem of yours for the first time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice....lovit! i love your writing. hope to see you soon. Beading Dancer

    ReplyDelete